New Milford has nearly 2,700 acres of land that is currently being used for agriculture. With the hard work of local residents much of that land has been permanently protected and will always be a part of our farming community.
One of those farms, Sullivan Farm has been a working farm first operated by the Sullivan Family in 1841. Today, the land is run by a non-profit agency that leases it from the town in order to run a local farm stand and youth educational programs.
Our local farms are also partnered with New Milford Hospital. Since 2006 New Milford Hospital’s Plow to Plate Initiative has responded to the upward trends of obesity, diabetes and associated diseases. The hospital’s Dining Services department procures locally-sourced foods from eight farms and cultivates an on and off-site culinary garden.
Many of our local restaurants also buy directly from these farms as well. We have a Saturday Farmer’s Market and a number of CSA’s (Community Supported Agriculture). Local residents join CSA’s and have a weekly supply of fresh, healthy often organic food.
Photo courtesy of the Greater New Milford Spectrum.