*** TAX COLLECTION NOTICE***
Notice is hereby given to the taxpayers of the Town of New Milford that Real Estate, Personal Property and all Motor Vehicle taxes on the October 1, 2019 Grand List becomes due and payable on July 1, 2020.
Non-escrowed and landlord approved real estate, personal property and motor vehicle taxes: The last day to pay to avoid interest and penalties is October 1, 2020
The last day to pay taxes to avoid interest and penalties for escrowed real estate and landlords not approved for deferral through the application process will be August 3, 2020. Landlords must apply for deferral no later than July 1, 2020.
Per State Statute 12-146, interest will be charged at the rate of 1.5% per month from the original due date, July 1, 2020. The minimum interest charge is $2.00.
FAILURE TO RECEIVE A TAX BILL DOES NOT INVALIDATE THE TAX OR INTEREST.
For your convenience, taxes may be paid in the following ways:
- Mail - Current payments only during the collection period may be made directly to our Bank’s Lockbox Service at the following address: Town of New Milford, PO Box 150416, Hartford, CT 06115-0416. If delinquent, mail to Tax Collector's Office, 10 Main Street, New Milford, CT 06776
- Partner Banks – Webster Bank and Savings Bank of Danbury New Milford branch locations will accept tax payments during business hours during the collection period. Only current tax bills and full payments - including the second installment if you choose - will be accepted. There is no charge for this service and you do not have to be a Webster Bank or Savings Bank of Danbury customer. Taxpayers interested in this option must bring the entire tax bill so that both the town and taxpayer portions can be stamped paid as a receipt. If you do not bring the entire bill the bank may not be able to process your payment!
- Taxpayer’s Bank – taxpayers can pay using their own financial institution’s ‘electronic bill pay’ service at their own risk. Payment must be received by the deadline or interest penalties will apply. To ensure timely payment delivery, taxpayers are encouraged to process their transaction at least 10 days before the due date to ensure timely delivery. If there is no postmark timeliness depends on receipt of the payment.
- Credit Card – payments can be made in person at the Town of New Milford’s Tax Collector’s office for a 2% surcharge.
- Online Payment – at www.newmilford.org. Pay by checking or savings account, the fee is only 50¢. Pay by debit/credit card the fee is 2.75%.
Note: Taxpayers with delinquent motor vehicle taxes that have been reported to the Department of Motor Vehicles will be assessed a $5 fee per name for processing reporting of the delinquency and payment.
Also - collection of delinquent bills is being handled by an attorney and collection agency. Timely payments are encouraged to avoid penalties or the possibility of your property being included in the next Tax Sale.
Please be advised that the Town of New Milford will use any enforcement tool available by Connecticut State Statute to pursue and collect on delinquent taxes.
Nancy E. McGavic, CCMC
Tax Collector, Town of New Milford
Office Hours: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday – Friday