Cooling Centers will be open Tuesday July 16th and Wednesday July 17th.  - Town Hall from 8:00am - 10:00am - New MIlford Library 10:00am - 8:00pm & The Senior Center (Seniors only) 8:00am - 4:00pm

Merryall Bridge is closed as of April 29, 2024

For EPA updated info on PFAS please click here.

For more information on the East Street School and John Pettibone Community Buildings, Click Here.

BE IN THE KNOW --Click here to sign up for Town Alerts with Notify New Milford

MANTENTE INFORMADO --Haga clic aqui para suscribirse a los alertas de la ciudad con Notify New Milford


Frequently Asked Questions:

This information is designed to provide answers to some of the questions taxpayers most frequently ask about property taxes.  All questions concerning assessments, exemptions, elderly tax relief and adjustments to motor vehicles should be directed to the Assessor's office 860-355-6070.  Questions about billings, tax balances due, amounts paid and interest charged should be directed to the Tax Collector's office 860-355-6085.

What is the best way to pay my tax bill?   The most convenient way is by mail, in person at the tax office or online with a credit card or e-check. To pay by credit card or e-check, visit and go to the Tax Collector’s page and clicking link Pay Taxes Online/Tax Inquiry.
If you pay by mail, send one copy of this bill with your check.  If you want a receipt, send all copies of the bill and a self addressed stamped envelope along with your check.
You will receive a receipt back within a few days.  We will not send back your receipt if you fail to include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.  If you pay in person, bring in all copies of this to the Tax Collector’s office. 

What happens if a payment or check is returned?   There will be a check/payment return fee of $20.00. This includes electronic banking services, regardless of reason. Your payment may not be processed if you fail to provide accurate account numbers and other necessary information.

What happens if I pay late?   Past due payments are subject to interest at the rate of one and one half percent per month from the due date of the tax, as required by law.  There is a minimum interest charge of $2.00.  CT General Statute 12-146

What if I never received a tax bill?  Failure to have received a tax bill does not exempt you from payment of all taxes and all interest charges. If you do not receive a bill for which you are responsible, call the Tax Collector's Office at (860) 355-6085 and request a copy, or go to, and go to Tax Collectors page then click on Pay Taxes Online/Tax inquiry to view your bill on line, or print a duplicate copy.  CT General Statute 12-130

Could I be eligible for any exemptions?   You may be. For details about exemptions, or if you think you may qualify, contact the Assessor’s Office at (860) 355-6070.

I am being improperly billed for a motor vehicle. What should I do?   Contact the Assessor's Office at (860) 355-6070, or by fax at (860) 355-3319. Do not ignore your bill!

I recently replaced a vehicle, and still got a tax bill on the old vehicle. Do I have to pay it?   Yes. If you replaced one vehicle with another, and used the same license plates, you must pay on the “old” vehicle now. You will receive a pro-rated Supplemental motor vehicle tax bill in December, for the new vehicle. This bill will reflect a credit for the amount you pay in July, on the old vehicle. You will receive this credit without having to apply for it. However, you still must pay the entire amount due on the old vehicle in July. However - if you obtained new license plates for the new vehicle, you must apply for a credit. Contact the Assessors Office at (860) 355-6070, or by fax at (860) 355-3319.

I need to register my car. What do I do?   If you owe delinquent property taxes on any vehicle in your name, you may not renew any registrations at the Department of Motor Vehicles without paying your taxes first. All past due taxes in your name (this includes any tax bill currently due but not yet delinquent) must be paid in full by cash, cashier's check, money order or credit card for an immediate clearance (stamp or release form). For payments made by check, clearance will be given after 10 day hold period.  CT General Statute 12-163 and CT General Statute 14-33.

I have moved. What is my tax jurisdiction for motor vehicle taxes?   Your tax town is your town of residency as of October 1. If you moved from New Milford after October 1, but still resided in Connecticut, you will still pay vehicle taxes to New Milford.  If you registered the vehicle in another state, contact the Assessor's Office. If you move, you are required to notify the Department of Motor Vehicles of your new address within 48 hours. Be sure that you request a change of address on your driver's license and on your vehicle registration(s). Forms for this are available on line at the DMV web site.  CT General Statute 14-17A

What is a "supplemental" motor vehicle tax bill?   Motor vehicles registered between October 2 and July 31 will be included on the Supplemental Grand List and will be due the following January 1.

I received a bill but my real estate tax bill should be paid by my mortgage company. What should I do?   If you received a real estate tax bill at the end of June and your escrow should be paying, immediately forward it to your escrow agent or mortgage company.  Regardless of who is paying the bill, payments become due July 1st and January 1st with a 30 day grace period.

I recently bought (or sold) a house in New Milford, and I have a question about what I owe. What should I do?   The property tax bills due in July of current year may reflect ownership changes recorded through mid-May of current year only. If you recently purchased property in New Milford, and have not received a real estate tax bill, call the Tax Collector’s Office immediately at (860) 355-6085 or by fax at (860) 355-6032, to request a copy or go to and clicking link Pay Taxes Online/Tax Inquiry to look your bill up on line (search by name or address). Check with the Assessor’s Office to ensure their records have been updated. 1st installment will become due July 1st and 2nd installment will become due January 1st, whether or not a bill has been received! If you recently sold property in New Milford, and are still receiving a tax bill for the property, please contact the Assessor’s Office at (860) 355-6070, or fax (860) 355-3319.

Can the interest on my tax bill be waived?   No. The Tax Collector does not have the authority to waive interest and makes no exceptions. As owners of property, taxpayers are responsible to see that taxes are paid when due.   CT General Statute 12-146

May I pay my taxes with my credit card?   Taxpayers may pay their property taxes on line with their credit card by visiting the web site, and going to the Tax Collector’s page and clicking link Pay Taxes Online/Tax Inquiry. Taxpayers using this service may pay current OR delinquent taxes. Please have your bill in front of you when using this service. There is a service fee added for payments.

My tax statement shows I am being charged interest and other fees. What does that mean?   According to our records, there are past due taxes in your name, or on the parcel of property in question. Call (860) 355-6085 with questions.  Delinquent taxes and interest must be paid in full before payment on current bills can be accepted. Any payment you send in toward your current taxes will be applied to the back taxes.   CT General Statute 12-144b

Are there any breaks for senior citizens?   Yes. To inquire about eligibility, or for information about these programs, contact the Assessor's Office at (860) 355-6070. You may also inquire in person at the Assessor’s Office at Town Hall.

Do I need to save my receipts?   Yes. Save your receipts for 15 years, the time during which municipal taxes are collectible.  You must retain your own payment information for purposes of claiming tax credits and filling out federal and state income tax forms. You can also look up your payment history on line by going to and clicking link Pay Taxes Online/Tax Inquiry, or in person in our office lobby.

What do I own that is subject to taxes?   Three types of property are assessed and subject to taxes: Real Estate, Motor Vehicle, and Business Personal Property. Any land or buildings you own are considered real estate. Registered motorized or unmotorized vehicles, (including cars, trucks, trailers and motorcycles) are considered motor vehicles for tax purposes. Business Personal property is a general category including business equipment, machinery, furniture and fixtures either owned or leased by business. Unregistered motor vehicles are also taxed as personal property.

How is the tax rate established?   The property tax rate is expressed in mills, or thousandths of a dollar. A tax rate (mill rate) of 1.0 mills is equivalent to $1.00 in taxes per $1,000 of net assessed value. The Town of New Milford Board of Finance sets the mill rates annually in May as part of the municipal budget process.