*** TAX COLLECTION NOTICE***
. JULY 2023
Notice is hereby given to the taxpayers of the Town of New Milford that the first installment of the Real Estate, Personal Property and Motor Vehicle taxes on the October 1, 2022 Grand List becomes due and payable on July 1, 2023.
Payment must be received or postmarked by August 1, 2023 to avoid an interest penalty. Per State Statute 12-146, interest will be charged at the rate of 1.5% per month from the original due date of July 1, 2023. The minimum interest charge is $2.00.
FAILURE TO RECEIVE A TAX BILL DOES NOT INVALIDATE THE TAX OR INTEREST.
For your convenience, taxes may be paid in the following ways:
- Mail - Current payments only during the collection period may be made directly to our Bank’s Lockbox Service at the following address: Town of New Milford, PO Box 150416, Hartford, CT 06115-0416.
Once delinquent, all mail must be sent to Tax Collector's Office, 10 Main Street, New Milford, CT 06776
- Partner Banks – Webster Bank at thee New Milford branch location will accept tax payments during business hours during the collection period. Only current tax bills and full payments are accepted. There is no charge for this service and you do not have to be a Webster Bank customer. Taxpayers interested in this option must bring the entire tax bill so that both the town and taxpayer portions can be stamped paid as a receipt. If you do not bring the entire bill the bank may not be able to process your payment!
- Taxpayer’s Bank – taxpayers can pay using their own financial institution’s ‘electronic bill pay’ service at their own risk. Payment must be received by the deadline or interest penalties will apply. To ensure timely payment delivery, taxpayers are encouraged to process their transaction at least 10 days before the due date to ensure timely delivery. If there is no postmark timeliness depends on receipt of the payment.
- Credit Card – payments can be made in person at the Town of New Milford’s Tax Collector’s office with a 2% surcharge. Mastercard, Visa, Discover and American Express are now accepted in person and also online.(additional fees apply)
- Online Payment – mytaxbill.net/newmilford. Pay by checking or savings account, the fee is only 50¢. Pay by debit/credit card the fee is 2.75%. Registered users will see that there is a new user friendly online payment portal with many options for convenience and functionality.
Note: Taxpayers with delinquent motor vehicle taxes that have been reported to the Department of Motor Vehicles will be assessed a $5 fee per name for processing reporting of the delinquency and payment.
Also - collection of delinquent bills may be handled by an attorney or collection agency. Timely payments are encouraged to avoid penalties or the possibility of being included in the next Tax Sale.
Please be advised that the Town of New Milford will use any enforcement tool available by Connecticut State Statute to pursue and collect on delinquent taxes.
Nancy E. McGavic, CCMC
Tax Collector, Town of New Milford
www.newmilford.org / 860-355-6085
Office Hours: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday – Friday