Fire Marshal's Office
Fire Marshal (Kevin Reynolds) KReynolds@newmilford.org
Deputy Fire Marshal (Edwin Pagan) EPagan@newmilford.org
Office Coord. (Marcin Stankevitch) MStankevitch@newmilford.org
Office Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Welcome to the Town of New Milford Fire Marshal's Office home page. It is the mission of the New Milford Fire Marshal's Office to provide professional life safety protection and reduce the harm associated with fires, explosions and mechanical failures for New Milford citizens. Safety is provided through risk assessment and prevention programs, education and investigation as regulated by applicable Connecticut State Laws.
Business Owners/Multi-Family Owners:
The Fire Marshal's Office can assist you with safety planning, fire drills, fire extinguisher training and explaining proper placement of smoke/carbon detectors. Also, kindly update our Owner Contact Information Form if there are any changes in your contact information.
Fire Alarm Ordinance
The Fire Marshal's Office is establishing a campaign focusing on the Town Fire Alarm Ordinance beginning on January 1, 2018. This ordinance was established over twelve years ago and fines offenders of the ordinance after two false alarms within the same calendar year. Read the complete ordinance.
Please contact Fire Marshal Kevin Reynolds, Alarm Administrator, with questions or concerns.
Smoke/Carbon Monoxide Detector Batteries
Please remember to change your smoke/carbon monoxide detector batteries twice a year. We recommend doing this at the Spring and Fall time change.
This office is tasked with;
- Enforcing CT General Statute Chapter 541, as well as, numerous codes that are promulgated under the provision of the statutes.
- Inspecting all buildings and facilities of public service and occupancies regulated by the Connecticut State Fire Safety Code. The CSFSC covers all occupancies except one and two family dwellings and premises used in manufacturing. Inspections include fire suppression systems, fire alarm systems, storage of hazardous materials, certificate of occupancy inspections and code consultations.
- Notifying the Labor Commission of fire hazards found in manufacturing establishments.
- Enforcing statutes regulating the installation & use of space heaters.
- Enforcing CT Flammable & Combustible Liquids regulations, including the inspection of all flammable and combustible liquid storage tanks, all cargo tank vehicles & dispensing facilities (e.g. gasoline stations).
- Assisting the general public and businesses with emergency and pre-incident fire plans and fire exit drills.
- Investigate cause, origin and circumstance of all fires, to determine if there is commission of a crime and to determine product safety issues and areas upon which to concentrate fire prevention education.
- Provide safety tips and advice to the general public.
- Issue permits for use, transportation and storage of explosives in compliance with State Explosive Regulations.
- Investigate complaints concerning explosives.
- Inspect explosive storage magazines.
- Spot-check all job sites where explosives are being used.
- Inspect the removal of underground fuel storage tanks.
- Inspect all dry cleaning and dry dyeing establishments.
- Conduct site inspections of tents and portable structures for compliance with fire safety regulations.
- Conduct review of plans and specifications for various occupancies & facilities being proposed or renovated within the Town for compliance with the Connecticut Fire Safety Code.
- Upon receiving a complaint, inspect one and two family dwellings to assure statutory requirements regarding smoke detection & warning equipment are satisfied.
- All local fire marshals are also required to attend schools and seminars to keep abreast of the code, regulations and new technology. They are required to maintain ninety (90) hours of continuing education credit over a three (3) year period as well as be certified by the State Fire Marshal.
New Milford Town Hall, Second Floor
10 Main Street, New Milford, CT 06776
Office hours: 8:00AM to 4:30PM (Mon-Fri)
For added convenience, Saturday inspections are available at certain times throughout the year. Please call during regular office hours for more information.