Social Services Department
New Milford Social Services Staff
- Ivana Butera, LMSW; Director
- Sarah Geary, MSW; Social Worker
- Maria De Oliveira, MSW; Social Worker
- Monika Roberts; Office Coordinator
To donate to Social Services, please click here.
New Milford Social Services assists residents with their social, emotional and economic needs. Services extend to helping people meet the basic human needs of food, shelter, clothing, and maintenance of health and well-being.
Income eligibility is determined by a professional social worker. Most programs require an interview with a staff person.
Proof of household income and residence in New Milford will be required. Please call for an appointment and a list of required documents. This department assists residents under age 60.
What's Happening at NM Social Services!
1. BACK to SCHOOL registration will OPEN May 8-June 20, 2019(or until list is full): "Important Message for Parents" : It is once again time to prepare to register for this program. As it was last year registration is beginning early and ending early . As with other programs, there are years where limitations arise beyond our control. This program may bear witness to these limitations this year so please read on carefully for the details of registering. Program registration through our office is prioritized for active households. An active household is one that participated in this year's energy (heating) assistance program, has frequented the food bank at least 4x's in the last 6 months, or has registered their child for a Parks and Rec scholarship through our office in the last year. If a household does not think they fit this description, they may schedule time with one of our social workers to discuss their situation. Remember this program is for children entering K-12 in New Milford Public Schools for the primary resident parent in case of joint custody. Teens with regular part-time or summer jobs are not eligible unless approved by one of our social workers. Pre-school and college age kids are not eligible. Participants will receive a book bag, school supplies, and a gift card towards clothing. Distribution will be on Friday, August 16th, in time for CT's anticipated tax-free clothes shopping week 8/18-8/24. Please bring completed registration forms for each child and proof of your households' income and proof of residency to our office. Registration will remain open until slots are filled or by June 20th, which ever may come first. Registration Form
2. "When You're A Parent...Again" : An evening support group for grandparents and other relatives raising children; meets monthly (childcare and dinner are included). Usually meeting every 2nd Thursday of the month and facilitated by our social worker, Sarah Geary. Please refer to our newsletter or call our office for specific dates and times.
3. Donations for the New Milford Food Bank are welcomed all year long Monday-Thursday 8:30am-4pm and Fridays 8:30am-2pm. Please refer to the Food Bank link for health choice items and our "Paper Bag Challenge". We also accept fresh produce from local gardeners (Monday-Thursday morning); we are registered with the Ample Harvest.org Campaign at www.AmpleHarvest.org .
2 Pickett District Road
New Milford, CT 06776
Phone: (860) 355-6079
Fax: (860) 355-6019
Office hours: M-F 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (limited office hours on Fridays after 2:30pm)
[Archived Newsletters & Annual Reports]
<ACTION ALERT>> “TO LISTEN, TO ADVOCATE, TO EMPOWER”
- Part of our mission is to encourage people to get informed, read, and learn about changes in policies that may affect one’s life, the life of their family or that of their neighbors and community.
If you know someone who has been helped by any health and human services programs and are worried about cuts or changes to programs, help them speak out. Make a call to your US Representative and Senator. Tell them their story- and yours!
LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD!
State Senator Craig Miner 860-240-8800
State Representative Bill Buckbee 800-842-1423
White House Switchboard: 202-456-1414
US Representative Jahanna Hayes 202-225-4476
US Senator Chris Murphy 202-224-4041
US Senator Richard Blumenthal 202-224-2823
(you will speak to one their aides, and they will get your message to our representative)